Skip to main content

Scam 1992 the Harshad Mehta Story - S01 E06

 [Song playing] Bloody hell. Soft drink in hand  no alcohol, no cigarettes  It feels like I'm doing dynamic meditation in a hermitage. Baa! Stay blessed. You're looking handsome. Who throws a party with just cola? Better than this, would have been ice pops from the street. Pranav Bhai, the Indian consumer is very gullible.   Is it?   Instead of ice pops, he will choose cola. All these foreign companies are waiting to bring colas to India. Really? You always talk business and drag business into everything. Hold on. Are you planning to invest in a Cola company? Forget business and investment now.   Enjoy the party. Drink up.   Okay. But can I say something? You don't know how to throw a party. 

[Harshad] 'Fine, I don't.'   You're going to London with Ketan, right?   Yes. There you can party how you want. Right? What's that beer you like? Please don't remind me.   Budweiser.   Yes, that one. Just what I thought. I'll go to London during the strike. I'll make a quick trip. But I just got to know that SEBI and the brokers are close to a settlement. And the market is going to open again. Good. Our SBI problem is solved too. Now Pranav Bhai, there's only one target. To enter the market like a bull and run a bulldozer over everyone. Clean up everyone. This talk about Harshad and SBI   [Manu] 'Is it confirmed?'   One hundred percent. Mehta will be finished this time. He's in deep shit. Since the past few days, the Lexus is always at SBI. They say that he's been running to and fro so often he might get dizzy and collapse. He has returned a big chunk, but there is some left. 

The market is closed and he hasn't made any transactions outside. So, what do you guys want to do? Nobody knows where is he getting the money to repay SBI. He hasn't liquidated any of his stocks. Once the SBI news officially becomes public we will have a chance to push down Harshad's stocks. People will lose trust in him. I think this is the best opportunity. Opportunity, my foot. Spoken like a fool! None of you have Harshad's brains. Before the news breaks out he'll square off his position and make profits. There is a strike. How will he square off his position if the market doesn't open? F****rs, at least keep yourselves updated. Don't you know the brokers and SEBI have reached a settlement. The market will open tomorrow. The settlement can be dragged on, can't it? It's Manu Bhai's market. You just have to give a signal. 

For how many days will it need to remain closed? Until the news comes out. The market should only open once there is panic all around. He'll be finished in the market and also won't be able to return the money he has taken to repay SBI  [AK] 'You kill him in the share market.' We will stab him in the money market. I'll handle Bombay. But what about the other stock exchanges? Leave Calcutta to me. And anyway, everyone will follow BSE. But this SBI news should come out soon. We can't hold the strike for too long. [Title Montage] Sir, I'm Sharad Bellary from SBI. Sir, take me to anyone  I don't have much time, Sir. There is a huge problem at SBI, sir. Please take him to Sucheta ma'am. You can't even begin to imagine how big the fraud is. Fraud? Five hundred crores are missing from the books of SBI. Do you know who is behind this fraud? H Harshad Mehta.   I'll get you a cup of tea.   I don't want tea, ma'am.   No, please. Just a minute.  

Ma'am, I don't want tea. I'll be right back. Please! [phone ringing]   Hello.   Hello. Yeah, Sucheta here. Listen, we need to catch up very urgently. We have finally got some real evidence. The source is right in front of me and he says Harshad might be in some serious trouble with SBI.   With SBI?   Yes. He's right here  I mean, he is in the cabin. [Sucheta] 'I just need you to explain a few technicalities to me. Can we meet?' Yeah, sure. Okay, thank you. Thank you. I'll see you, bye. Where is the gentleman who was sitting here? I brought tea for him. I don't know where he's gone. Oh, no! Taxi! Hello. Yes. Can you connect me to Debashis, please? Are you sure this Sharat Bellary works at SBI head office..?  and he hasn't fed you some fake news? Sharad  "D". Sharad Bellary. I don't know but  It sounds very convenient to me. Scripted, in fact. Look  Not from Treasury or Accounts  But a person from a PR department lands up in TOI building and gives this story to no one but you and then disappears without a word. Agantuk. It means "The Stranger". It might be Satyajit Ray's last film. You know his condition, right? I was writing an article on it for a change and got trapped by SBI's Agantuk! How strange! Agreed. 

This isn't a coincidence. He's been sent to me. But whoever has sent him knows, that only I can follow up on Harshad's story. And this story could be planted, Sucheta. Because the way this 'Sharad', disappeared I don't think he had any evidence. Do one thing, go to SBI and cross check? Cross check? And what about you? I can't go right now. I have to talk to my source. I need him to explain a few things that Bellary was telling me. Okay. Let's meet Karamchand first, and then go to SBI. Debashis, you'll have to go alone. We are don't have time.   Please go to SBI.   Okay, I'll go. Let me have tea first. Have tea at SBI. Their tea is really good. And if you go now, you might run into Harshad. Have a couple of sips with him too. Please. Please    Please, Debashis, go.   I'm going. I'm going!   Can I have this?   Please  Hello. Whom would you like to meet? Sharat Bella  Sharad Bellary.   Name?   Ma'am, I just told you. Sharad Bellary.   Your name, sir?   Oh, sorry. Debashis. I'm his cousin  from Calcutta. I live there. I'm taking a train back tonight so I thought Sharad Bhai  Ma'am  It's a bit urgent, please.   Which department did you say?  


PR. [Receptionist] 'One second.' 'Hello. Sharad Bellary's cousin is here to see him.' 'Debashis.' Okay. Sir, he's not in office. He left a while ago.   He hasn't come back yet? No, he had told me that he's going out but he should have been back by now. No problem. I'll do one thing, I'll wait in his cabin. [Receptionist] 'Sir, he doesn't have a cabin.'   Okay!   'So ' So  I'll wait at his desk  'Sir, you can't go anywhere, You'll have to wait here.'   Okay.   'Yes.' How did that money go into his account? SBI would have issued the cheques in PNB's name, right? Harshad is just a broker. Because SBI must have issued the cheques directly in Harshad's name. Isn't that illegal? Is it not wrong? Well! It's an accepted market practice. [DT] 'You see, when the system is inefficient '  people from within, tweak it. They twist and bend it a little. 'So that business can carry on smoothly.' 'Ease of doing business.' Such transactions work on trust. And in business, trust is bigger than all legalities. The problem arises when people like Harshad Mehta misuse this parallel system and turn it into a crime. 'You know, they  They break the trust of the system.' 'They  They ruin the equilibrium.' Either way, this is wrong, right? Banks can only transact with other banks. How can they issue cheques directly in the name of a broker? Because, sometimes, to save time, banks transfer money into the broker's account and then it's the broker's headache, how he gets them the best deals. So  So, as long as the money is in the broker's account he can invest it wherever he wants? Correct, everyone does this. Everyone? Don't look at me like that. 

Even I do it. But I make sure I don't break the trust of the system. [DT] 'I don't disturb its balance.' Sucheta, I think you're taking the wrong direction here. The problem here is not that SBI transferred money into Harshad's account. Okay? In fact, there must have been many such transactions between them in the past. At least five to ten thousand crores. That's why, this time also, they deposited 500 crores in his account assuming he has the securities and he will return the money. But I don't think he has those securities. [DT] 'And I don't think PNB even knows anything about this.' That is crazy. Yes. I think SBI has caught wind of it. That's why they're asking him to return the money. [DT] 'You had heard about fake BRs?' This is the first time that, the BRs don't exist at all. Now that is a scam! Which department? I'm Bellary ji's cousin. Bellary? Who Bellary? Sharad Bellary. Sharad Bellary? Which department does he work in?   PR.   Okay. Sir, which department are you in? I work in loans. To be honest I'm here to meet Harshad Bhai. I heard that he's here too? I'm a big fan.   Harshad Mehta?   Yes. Has he come in his imported Lexus? I don't know. Sorry, I have to leave. Thank you. Oh. Thank you. Which department?   HR.   Okay. I haven't seen you before. What a coincidence. I haven't seen you either. Oh no, no  I just joined last month. Oh, okay. No wonder. Thanks. I'll make a few phone calls.

 I'll let you know if I get some more information. And I'll talk to my contacts in the market. Plus, I need to talk to Harshad as well. You'll talk to him directly? The story is on him, I need to know his side as well. And this is an investigative piece. Without knowing his side of the story, it'll seem like gossip. I don't want to seem like that kind of a journalist. So    Thanks.   Good luck. Change the world. I will surely try. [phone ringing]   Hello.   Hello, Mr. Mehta?   Speaking.   This is Sucheta Dalal. Is this a good time to talk? Depends. Is this call constructive or destructive? Mr. Mehta, I just wanted to check  We've just been informed that you've failed to deliver securities  ' worth 500 crores to the State Bank of India.' 'And now they're demanding their money back. Would you care to comment?' No. Why not? Because it's baseless, it's nonsense. And it doesn't suit a journalist like you to fan such rumours. Are you sure, Mr. Mehta? Because I have sources who might be able to confirm this. [Harshad] 'Look, you wanted my reaction and you got it.' Now, you want me to say something that you can print. SBI knows the truth, and so do I. So you're denying it? Sucheta ji, there's no room for such filmy gossip in the financial world.   Anyway, who is your source?   Thank you, Mr. Mehta. Harshad, if this gets published it'll open a pandora's box. Nothing will get published.   There is no news.   There seems to be. She sounded determined. That's why I ask you not to eavesdrop on my calls. If she had proof, she would have published it. She wouldn't have called me. They know that I'm the real deal in this business. If they publish anything without proof, they'll be in trouble. So what are you waiting for? Show them that you're the real deal. [phone ringing] Rajdeep. 

Harshad Mehta? Put him through. 500 crores. Are you joking? Listen. It can be even more. Yes, it's possible. I've seen him a few times myself. Three days back, there was a crowd just to look at his car.   Which car is it    Lexus. Yes, Lexus. But who told you about this 500 crore? Brother, everyone knows, but they are keeping mum. Because if it becomes public, even the senior officials will get f****d.  Are you serious?  Hmmm. Sitaraman ji, please come.   Who's that?   He will know everything. We were just talking about your department.   Is it? What were you talking about?   Yes. The same. Harshad Mehta case.   This gentleman here says, 500 crores have    Nonsense! Absolute rubbish. Don't you have anything better to do, than gossip in the canteen? Mr. Mehta and SBI do a lot of business. So sometimes the accounting goes wrong, but it's all settled now. All of it? All 500 crores? No, a little is pending. Only six or seven crores. That will be done day after tomorrow. You guys better stop spreading these rumours. If Mr. Khemani hears about this he will suspend you both. Sir, he was saying. What do we care? It's not even our department. Right. Which department are you from? PR. HR? Yes  It's only been a few days since I joined. PR or HR? HR.   Have some tea at least.   No, I have something urgent to do. 

Okay, I should leave too. I have a lot of work to do.   Thank you.   Has anyone joined your department recently? No, why? That man over there. Isn't he from your department? Who?   Okay.  [typewriter clicking] Two years back. Okay, got it. Okay. No, listen. I'll have to call you back. So? Actually, you know what, let's talk in the conference room.   But why?   Come  Just come.   What happened?   Just  too many people. [Debashis] 'No.' I think he's disappeared after meeting you. But Sucheta, Bellary seems to be telling the truth. Harshad has been regularly visiting SBI meetings are happening. Something seems to be brewing.   So what do we have now?   Nothing much. Harshad is giving the last cheque day after tomorrow. It's a small amount. And his dues will be cleared up. There's no news. If a criminal cleans up the crime scene does that mean the crime never happened? He has messed with the system and misused it. That's why he is repaying the money. Tell me one thing, Debashis. Where are the funds coming from? Every single penny belongs to the people of India. How can he use it like his father's money? Used it whenever he wanted, earned profit on it and returned it! What if he had made a loss? What if he couldn't have returned it? Sucheta, once the rest of the money is returned, we don't have a story. 

As simple as that. Do you think the people at SBI will speak about this? This is why I'm going to make sure the story comes out tonight before he returns the rest of the money. Hello! Sucheta, are we doing a story on Harshad Mehta? [Sucheta] 'How did you know?' He called, he denied everything. Do you have his statement, what has he denied exactly? Do you have anything to support your story? I have my sources. Will they speak on record? No. But I've cross checked all the facts through multiple channels. Sucheta, you need to understand this is the Times of India. Without actual paper evidence, you can't print anything. I can't give you the go ahead. I have faith in my sources and in the past, people have published many articles without any paper evidence. I hope you understand that he can even sue us if the news is not true. Rajdeep, if you won't let me publish this then I'm going to have to go to Dileep. Sure, go for it. I'm sure he'll say the same thing. We don't claim publicly that 'we are the most courageous'. But if there is a news publication in this country that takes a tough stance then we are the one. We don't differentiate between the powerful and the weak. Hasn't your newspaper been too pro government lately? In fact, they were always pro government. Dileep, tell me something. Are the British still paying your salary? The difference between others and us is that we don't keep on criticising the government pointlessly. We are not here to just point out the faults in the system. Oh. Come on  Mr. Dileep. Leave these politically correct answers to us politicians. Am I right? Sorry, Mr. Padgaonkar. But you must have heard the saying "The Times" flows the way the wind blows. Huh? Actually, "The Time" flows the way "The Times" goes. Mr. Padgaonkar, you have an important call from Bombay. Excuse me, gentlemen. I have a call to take.   Hello.   Hello. Sir, Sucheta here. Sir, sorry to bother you but this is very urgent. Sucheta Dalal? [Sucheta] 'Yes, sir, from Bombay.' How did you know I'm here? Sir, it's a long story. Right now, I want to discuss something important. [Dileep] 'Go ahead, I'm listening.' Sir, I have a scoop. Harshad Mehta has defrauded SBI of 500 crores  [Sucheta] ' and no one has the slightest hint about it.' I have a primary source from the SBI, PR department. He came into office this morning and gave me all the details. Sir, I really want to go ahead with this story. [Dileep] 'So? What's the problem?' Sir, Rajdeep is not agreeing. He says that because I don't have any paper evidence he cannot allow me to go forward with the story. You have no evidence? [Dileep] 'Your source ' No, sir. But I've done a complete background check. I'm sure of this. [Dileep] 'I understand, Sucheta.' But try and find some evidence of any kind. Without any evidence, we can't publish a story this big. [Dileep] 'You should understand that.' Sir, but this story will be dead by tomorrow. Harshad is retuning the funds and by the day after, he'll have deposited the last cheque as well. So, there's no story then. He took the money, and has returned it back. This isn't a loan that he can return whenever he wants. He's misusing money from the government to rig shares in the stock exchange. And do you think this is his first time he's done it? Or that he has only done it with SBI and won't repeat it ever!? Sir, Harshad Mehta is very well connected. SBI won't do anything but we can. I mean, when did we journalists stop going after criminals just because nobody has reported them to the authorities. I'll give you a solution. Call up SBI and ask them directly if such a transaction took place between them and Mr. Mehta. [Dileep] 'Confirmation should be from some high official.' 'If they confirm it, we go ahead.' Otherwise, we cannot do it. Okay, sir. Got it. Thank you  He didn't agree, right? He wants confirmation from SBI's senior management. Why don't you talk to the SBI chairman directly? Sucheta, you only have one hour before today's edition goes into printing otherwise, your story will be dead. Alright? Take a chance. Best of luck. [Music playing] Sir, there's a call for you. Hello. Hello. Good evening, sir. This is Sucheta Dalal from Times of India. Yes, Ms. Dalal, what can I do for you? Sir, let me be direct. Is it true that Harshad Mehta defrauded SBI     of 500 crores?   What? No, I do not think this is true at all. Where do you get your information from? Sir, I have a source. Your source must be misinformed, Ms. Dalal. You see, we have very heavy transactions and sometimes reconciliation is difficult. Sometimes delayed. I do not think you should blow this out of proportion at all. I wish you a very good evening. Yeah, so we have the story but they won't print it. Who is they? 

Rajdeep, our Bombay editor won't publish it. And Dileep, our head editor wants a confirmation from SBI. I mean, he's not insisting on paper evidence but  So did you speak to anybody? Yes. I spoke to Goiporia directly. But he denied it. I mean, he's not going to admit anything, right? If Harshad has committed a fraud, SBI is no saint either. [Sucheta] 'They are also vulnerable.' Yeah. And possibly guilty also. But what now? I don't know. Why are you asking me? Do something. I really don't have time.  [Sucheta] 'Hello? Hello?'   Yes.   Hello   [Sucheta] 'I thought you also  Anyway ' I might know someone from SBI's senior management. [DT] 'Let me see if he can help us.' Please, talk to him right away. Okay. If he agrees then I'll ask him to call you. That's great  Thanks. Mayank, wait. Where are you going? I'm going to have dinner. Give me your pack.  I have this. Will it do?  Hmm.   You're coming for dinner?   No.   Okay, fine.   You go and you'll buy your own pack?   Okay.   Okay, thanks.   Oh! Sorry, sir.   No, please go on. I know, behind this cloud of smoke, there must be a smoking hot story. Don't stop. I don't want to disturb your chain of thought. I was just going to stretch my legs. No, sir. I'm fine, thank you. It's quite common these days, Everyone's smoking. By the way, why doesn't your Common Man smoke?   

Oh! He has asthma.   Oh, yes. I've always wanted to ask you a question, sir. Why is your "Common Man" always a man? Why not a "Common Woman"? You see, a woman cannot be common. Women are always special.   Sure.   Right?   I think I should    Yes. Please. [phone ringing] Hello. Hello, Sucheta. I'm leaving now.   Should I drop you home?   No, I'm fine. Well, what's the scene with Mr. Bellary's story? I just need a little more time. [Debashis] 'How much more time?' Tomorrow's edition will go to print any moment now. I doubt if they will print the story. Debashis, I don't have the energy to argue. I'm waiting for an important phone call. Bye. Oh no. Everything is a mess. [phone ringing]   Debashis, how many time do I've to tell   [Man 1] 'Ms. Dalal?' Hello. I'm sorry. Who is this? [Man1] 'I work for SBI. I was told you wanted to speak to me.' Yes! Yes, sir. I'm writing a story     and I just wanted   [Man1] 'I am aware of the details.' Okay, good. Sir, I just needed a confirmation from you if I publish this story, and it turns out to be a false alarm then I'll be in very serious trouble. I could even lose my job. [Man1] 'Even I'll lose my job if my name pops up in any way.' Sir, I don't need any names, I don't even want the details. 

I know you can't say much. I just need to know if I can go ahead, sir. Go ahead. Thank you. Thank you. Yes. [typewriter clicking] Sucheta, I read your piece. You've used this word "scam" so many times. I mean, we use words like financial frauds or scandal, etcetera for the same thing. You know it, right? It's time to introduce this strong word in the Indian financial world. To let the readers know about it. I mean, the western media has already adopted it. There are so many scams happening left, right and center. Mark my words, in the next three to four years this word will be common parlance. Did you speak to Dileep? Well, I've asked Mayank to try. I'll talk to him as soon as we get through.   Sucheta    I know  Are you fine?   Yes.   Alright. See if you can work it out. Mayank. Sir, call for you again. Sir, it's urgent. I've got the cordless for you.   Hello.   Sir, I've got a confirmation.  [Dileep] 'Officially?'   Not officially but it is from the senior management, just as you asked. [Dileep] 'That's not enough, Sucheta.' Sir, do you remember, three months ago we had a similar discussion when I broke the Rajan Pillai story? You believed in me then, and it turned out to be true. And you even published the story on the seventh page.  [Dileep] 'Okay, so?'  

So, sir, trust my gut on this. This needs to come out. [Dileep] 'Okay, I'll talk to Rajdeep. But remember ' ' if we get into trouble because of this, your time at TOI is over.' 'Still want to go ahead with this?' Yes!   'Sure?'   Five hundred percent. [Dileep] 'Okay.' Sucheta is just being stubborn. How can you publish something against a celebrity without enough corroboration? She thinks it's a scoop. Scoop? Tell her, if she needs a scoop, go buy ice cream. Why don't you tell her that? Huh? [phone ringing] Hello? Yeah? Dileep's on the line. Sucheta. Front page. Congratulations. Who changed the headline? Harshad Mehta is not even mentioned in this article. He has been referred to as "Big Bull" everywhere. I changed it, Sucheta. Why? This was the safest option. This way, we all are safe. But you could have taken me into confidence, you could have asked me once. I discussed it with Rajdeep and Dileep. And that was the best option. Sucheta! Sucheta  What happened? [phone ringing] [phone ringing continues] [phone ringing continues] [Song playing]


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How To Reveal Hidden Password Behind Asterisk Without Any Tool

How To Reveal Hidden Password Behind Asterisk Without Any Tool How To Reveal Hidden Password Behind Asterisk Without Any Tool How To Reveal Hidden Password Behind Asterisk Without Any Tool How To Reveal Hidden Password Behind Asterisk Without Any Tool How To Reveal Hidden Password Behind Asterisk Without Any Tool How To Reveal Hidden Password Behind Asterisk Without Any Tool How To Reveal Hidden Password Behind Asterisk Without Any Tool How To Reveal Hidden Password Behind Asterisk Without Any Tool How To Reveal Hidden Password Behind Asterisk Without Any Tool How To Reveal Hidden Password Behind Asterisk Without Any Tool How To Reveal Hidden Password Behind Asterisk Without Any Tool How To Reveal Hidden Password Behind Asterisk Without Any Tool How To Reveal Hidden Password Behind Asterisk Without Any Tool How To Reveal Hidden Password Behind Asterisk Without Any Tool How To Reveal Hidden Password Behind Asterisk Without Any Tool How To Reveal Hidden Password Behind Asterisk Without A

Scam 1992 the Harshad Mehta Story - S01 E07

[Harshad] 'What a lovely house you've made, my lady!' We'll build a terrace garden here.  You know, with those miniature plants and trees?  Bonsai. [Harshad] 'Bonsai. We'll plant those too. I've heard they are very lucky.' What is it? Is everything okay? What do I say? You tell me. Is everything okay at work? What do you mean? Your business is beyond my understanding. But I do understand that all the newspapers are writing about you. So let them. It's worthless news. Many homes run thanks to your husband, my lady. News reporters are amongst them.  So, let them earn too.  I'm scared. It feels different this time. What's different?  You think too much.  Hey! [Title Montage] 'I won't take up too much of your time.' 'I know that most of you are here to listen to just one man. ' According to me, he's a scientist. Einstein of the share market. Harshad Mehta. Please, come. [crowd applauding] Thank you. To be honest, I can'

Sacred Games Season 1 Episode 5

Greetings from Suleiman Isa. Kukoo? Kukoo's gone. What do you mean, "gone"? Meaning fuck all. Nothing. I'm Ganesh Gaitonde. I don't trust anyone. Even he can't harm me because I'm above him. From now on, only one god will be worshiped in Gopalmath, and that's me. I'm your one true god. How did you find out about this? I had a dream. Mind your own business. We have to get to him before the RAW officers do. Why are you doing this? Is it because you like her? Bunty won't give in easily. There'll be gunfire. Should I teach you how to take the safety off the gun? I'll Google it, just like I Googled Ramakant Jadhav. Who are these people? They're our men. Criminals turned informants. If things go wrong, we'll say we got a tip from them that they were blackmailing a builder and got away with six lakh rupees. What's this? It's for your protection. They fired, and we fired in response. We don't know anything about Bunty.